Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Asperger's, Anxiety & a Bedside Table

I have received a couple of very lovely emails from some of my readers.  There words were to thank me for this blog and how encouraging it is.  I am so glad.  Some have said how positive and bright they find it.  Some have said I am an inspiration.  I read another blog the other day - and Selena was discussing keeping it real.  So I just wanted to let you know that your words of encouragement actually encourage me!  This blog helps me to focus on the positives of my life - but it is not all as pretty as the pictures.  I wanted to let you know  I am struggling with my middle Aspie boy, I am in my trackies with paint on my hands and look quite shabby!

What do you do when your child wraps himself in a blanket and won't talk to you for over an hour or squishes himself into his wardrobe?  I really don't know - I have tried all the things positive parenting books and early intervention services suggest.  Maybe you out there with children who actually have additional needs can help!  At the moment we are struggling with the unknown, new situations and that whole Asperger manner of being oblivious to anyone else in the world (unless of course it suits the one with Aspergers).  Sometimes it is just easier to give in and let the boys have screen time.  It breaks my heart - I feel like a bad parent.  So Master S is off school today and has loved being outside - mowing the neighbours lawns with his push-mower!  I am hoping this day off school refreshes him.


To the latest creations...  I found a great bedside table at the tip op-shop - it has come up lovely so far.  I lined the drawers with Cath Kidston paper.  More birdcages have come about with beautiful vintage sheet music origami birds.  I am actually feeling a little stale at the moment - busting to sew some ladies dresses - but fabric is scarce at the moment!  Do you have any old tablecloths in your cupboard I could buy?  xo








1 comment:

  1. Dear Rach,

    Focussing on the positives is a hard job at times, but it is something that we all should do every day, and you seem to do it so well. Your blessings are many, as are your struggles.

    As you know my Tyson has very different needs from your Samuel but i just wanted to share a little story with you that i hope will help, even in a small way. Tyson was just shy of seven when he had his surgery to remove the tumour (benign) on his hip. We had spent so much time telling him that it was all going to be ok and that things would be better when it was all over. However it wasn't, it was worse, much worse. He was turned from a little boy who could walk, albeit awkwardly, to a little boy who relies on crutches and a wheelchair to get around. One day not long after he had had the plaster taken off his legs he was attempting to get out of the car but was addamant that he didn't need to use the crutches, he was using the car as his support. He slipped and came crashing down to the ground. He didn't hit hard so he wasn't hurt but he just started sobbing uncontrollably in the middle of the driveway. I tried to pick him up (but he was already way to big for me to carry) and get him inside but he wouldn't budge, all he did was cry. And so the only thing i could think of to do at the time was get down on the ground with him and hold him. We sat there for a good half hour, him crying and me rocking him back and forth, because i needed him to know that i was sorry and that i was their for him.

    That was an incredibly emotional time for me. I had no immediate solution to the problem and so i did all that i could think of at the time. I am sure many people looked at me strangely as they drove or walked past and probably dissaproved of my tactic but it was the best i could come up with.

    I don't begin to suggest that i understand your situation with Samuel but i think that you have done (and probably always do do) the best thing that you can think of at the time. What better way to refresh yourself than to spend your time mowing the lawns!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...