Sunday, January 16, 2011

Guess what I've been doing...

Oh, so much.... packing, school holiday mumma tasks, knitting, visiting my mum, thrifting, flower making, and went out on the town with one of my besties to see SALLY SELTMANN!!!!!!!!!  I have not been 'out' doing adult stuff with a friend for some years.  I felt like a bird let out of it's cage.









However - all of this has been feeling a little odd with the Queensland flood disaster's.  I have not even been able to blog in the light of sounding a tad selfish.  My worldly focus on our move, putting in a new kitchen and packing all our belongings - struck an oxymoron type chord while I watched people losing their communities in the north.

There are so, so, so many kind people out there lending a hand of support.  When chatting with my kidlets about what we could do, Master J suggested some come and live with us.  I assured him we could offer that if we lived closer!

Anyway - most of my crafting supplies are packed except glue and knitting needles.  StephMonkeemoomoo and many other kind hearted people have started some handmade initiatives to support Queenslander's affected by the floods.  I've been wondering what we can do to help.  I found this delightful book in the library and decided to knit some pretend play foods.  And then I found this.... some boys might like some knitted bugs and animals.  Can you help too?

If you click on the links on my sidebar it will direct you to where you can post your handmade treasures.

The lovely Sarah from Oesch & Doots also set fourth a wonderful challenge of blessing others. 

" I promise something handmade to the FIRST 5 people who leave a comment here. However, to be eligible, you must repost this message, offering something handmade to 5 other people. The rules are that it must be handmade by you, and it must be sent to your 5 giftees sometime in 2011. Ready, set, GO! "

This challenge has been doing the rounds of many bloggers.  I am thinking from Squiggly Rainbow's end I may change it with a twist.  For the first five people that leave a comment - I will also give an extra handmade treasure to the flood appeal.  I can't promise it will be a perfect handmade treasure - but it will be full of love and Squiggly style!

Now for some advice.  I am the one who needs advice.  You know we are moving in about 12 days.... Well, the house was built in the 1960's and will be having the blue carpet and linoleum ripped up straight away and timber floors sealed.  A new kitchen being put in a la Ikea a bit like this.


with a sink like this





The thing is our PINK bathroom.  I really want to embrace the pink bath and pedestal sink.  However the wallpaper and blue tiles have to go.   I think it is quirky and will be different to everyone else's bathrooms that are usually all the same.  I have been thinking about Cath Kidston, polka dots, painting the blue tiles white....

Tell me what you think.  Can you leave me a link with some ideas to bathrooms you may have seen.  Or has your creative intuition dreamed up a delightful solution?

Don't forget the handmade appeals, if you are not confident in your abilities, there are simple tutorials out there to try.  All you need is a bit of love - that's what the receivers will feel when their parcel arrives!


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, how exciting - a new kitchen from scratch! I love your idea of keeping the old bathroom set and adding Cath Kidston style accessories - sounds very you.

    Funny you showed those books, my boy's birthday is coming up next Saturday and I was just thinking that I would love to knit him some toys. I have a knitted farm animals book, but the creepy crawlies look much more his style! I'll have to hunt it down in our library.

    Good for you getting some grown up time - I had a lovely dinner out with 3 lovely women - all bloggers too which was interesting! Such a rare treat to be out at night, and to have a whole uninterrupted evening of girly conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I have spent my entire weekend thinking of doing something exactly like what you're doing. We need to find a new place the live, and we stumbled upon a nice house with a crappy interior. If we can find a bank dumb enough to lend us the money, we'd buy it, get an Ikea or Bunnings kitchen, tear up the godawful carpets... Sorry, but the bathroom is fine and we wouldn't touch it for years to come, so can't offer advice.

    *sighs* Your butler sink looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love a butlers sink! I'm so jealous! I had to laught out loud at the pink/blue bathroom, a unit we rented for years had a pink/blue bathroom! Pink bath, pink vanity, pink toilet (yep the bowl was pink, the seat was black) blue wall tiles! Very attractive! Love your bloggy space! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...