Friday, January 7, 2011

words and a mannequins bottom

Sometimes I have so much to share I just don't know where to start.... I have had many thoughts running through my mind all day long.  Maybe the best place to start is with the creative updates.


This is my $5 table and the mannequin I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  The mannequin is for the stall and the table is for the new house.  When I bought the table I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it.  A lovely friend suggested I decoupage the top.  So I am thinking this would be a great idea and I will just distress the legs and give it a coat of Estapol.  What do you think?  The children think I should decoupage the top with pictures of them.  I am not sure  - was thinking a collection of pictures spiraling in a rainbow colour.

The mannequin turned out wonderfully - however I did feel a tad uneasy when I was decoupaging the bottom!


Now that most of my craft supplies are packed, I am left with paper and glue.  I have discovered that Mod Podge really is the best thing to use - albeit the expense.  Miss G and I decoupaged a wooden spoon today - will show you the pics tomorrow.  Really - anything that needs jazzing up at the moment is being decoupaged!

We went to my favorite beach this morning, it was overcast and quiet.  Quite nice.  The children loved exploring the rock pools.  I loved to see how uninhibited my boys were.  I have heard of many children on the spectrum not enjoying the beach because of an adverse sensory reaction.  Really, there is no rhyme or reason I am finding to what my boys like and dislike.  Miss G wondered why the seaweed was not green and the water not blue.  



Blue skies were hidden by cloud - it was still so warm.


We stopped on the way home at the close by Op-Shop.  Many delights I did find.  I love this Vintage Dutch Jug with a pewter lid and the Italian silk prints.


While packing this afternoon I came across this note given to me by a friend.

 

I have been pondering it's words all afternoon and evening.  I don't see much of this friend of recent times.  This is a friendship I thought had value although we are very different.  It does hurt.  My Grandma even noticed the silence at a recent function.  I feel it has not been to my avail - maybe it has.  I did the best I could in my circumstances.  I wonder if it is because my family is so demanding I choose to be focused on them? Maybe it is because I have begun to set boundaries - like "no, sorry you can't visit regularly at 7pm while I am trying to put my children to bed". Maybe she didn't like me being myself?  I know she is busy raising two young children. Mmmm - interesting.

Who knows - I have learnt it is quite tricky to become very close with people.  Some don't like to discuss hurts.  My family is quite quirky.  Have you had this experience?  What do you suggest?  Some say you become the company you keep.  Maybe some don't want to become a family with additional needs! LOL!

Kate at Foxs Lane discussed making choices this year.  I remarked that my choices to set boundaries have actually shunned very close people.  It has been a long time coming - and sad that these people do not appreciate me as someone worthwhile to have an opinion.

I am thankful for those who do appreciate and respect.  Thankyou to you.  I am going to continue to be myself .

Happy Weekend xo

14 comments:

  1. Boundaries: I understand so well. I have 4 children, all grown up now, but there was a time during which setting boundaries saved my life, but many people didn't understand, including my husband who thought (and still thinks) that I am asocial (but would do nothing to help me with my chores). I was so hurt that he did not understand, no wonder we became two strangers.
    I am not asocial, only have to keep my space in order to keep my sanity. I have a close friend who was offended because at a time on Wednesdays I wouldn't accept appointments or even answer the phone for a few hours. You know what? We know what our priorities are, so, dear Rachel, I encourage you to keep those boundaries.
    You have enough on your plate, you will be able to give your time to friends when you will have that kind of time.
    I love your mannequin, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aracne, thankyou so much for your kind words. It definately is to keep my sanity - you are right. I too don't answer the phone sometimes - it is lovely to know at least someone understands! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked reading this post Rachael and am glad that you have found & set your boundaries and are remaining strong.
    it's not easy having so much to deal with & you are right to put your foot down when needed.
    do what's best for you & your family & continue being you!
    if you don't then you'll end up unable to function the way that you should.

    i wish you the very best year filled with love & happiness.

    I absolutely LOVE your mannequin by the way ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this is what you mean but I'm turning 30 in a few months and it seems a bit daunting in that I am reassessing a lot of things, including friendships. The ones I thought were "real" friends don't seem to be now... and another thing is that a lot of them are not married or have kids so they have no idea what it is like for me with two under three ... I'd hope I was still the same friend like I was before I was married and a mother... but I know motherhood changes you and you need to focus on your own family. I've decided that this year I'm not making excuses for friends who never seem to have time for me.
    xo MODELmumma (and PS, I'd be a bit awkward around that mannequins butt too! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just found your blog and love it...
    I think having boundaries is a good thing..it's not good to spread oneself so thin that you have nothing left to offer to those who are nearest and dearest to you.
    Personally I think genuine friends are there no matter what and should respect your wishes. Sadly some friendships only last a short while, but the beauty is the ones that last a life time.

    Love, love, love your table and thrifty finds and the mannequin is way cool!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finds! And I love the mannequin make over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rach, big advocate for setting boundaries. Maybe these people in your life need time to adjust to your boundary setting if it is just a new thing?! I feel a bit like people don't ask me because they think that it is "too hard" for me to come with Tys. It could be that they just don't want me there, lol, who knows.
    There are also those friends who come in and out of your life. Some friendships can be a life long thing but they may not be there to share every experience, if that makes sense.
    I think that it is fantastic that you celebrate your families "quirkiness" and you should continue to do what is best for you and for them.
    Kisse, Talia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore what you have done with the mannequin! Delightful blog. I am so glad you found me!~~~XXOO, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bounderies are essential in raising kids. Set them let the people close to you know your boundaries and if you make them upset...that is on them. We have recently had to set boundaries on how often people visit on the weekend. We were getting no time for ourselves as a family. We had to put our foot down and tell people thanks but no thanks. While we hurt some peoples feelings it is better for us and our family! That is most important.

    I love this post and I love your mannequin. You are going to put in the bathroom? I can't wait to see how you place it in there! Love your blog! BTW- my parents have been to Australia twice and said if there was one other place they would want to live it is there. I love your pictures of your surrounding!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel stupid! I just read what the Stall is!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rach, of course you should continue being you - and being true to you. It's the only way and if you follow your instincts you can't go wrong.

    Whenever I find myself worrying too much about what other people think, I try to remind myself that I can't please everyone - because you just can't. And your family are your priority.

    I've been thinking about friendship lately - I caught up with an old friend on the weekend (hadn't seen him in 10 years!) and we picked up just where we'd left off. It was a strange experience in a way, but watching him play with my kids and chat with my husband, I realised that some people come and go, and maybe they come back again, but friends don't always have to last forever and ever in order to be precious in our lives.

    x Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just posting a quick thank you in case you didn't get my email reply... got the parcel. We love it. Can't wait to wear it and take a pic to send to you. Hope all is well!
    xo MODELmumma

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...