Wednesday, June 8, 2011

what matters

This week is bringing about very interesting conversations and blog topics.  I am thinking it is amazing what we in the Western world choose to see or not see.  I have been quite overcome by studying and realising how many orphans and victims of child-sexual exploitation there are in our world.  So much seems so meaningless when we think about these things.

 I had a thought on the way to church on Sunday; I thought how amazing it would be if we weren't so selfish as residents of this world.  Wouldn't it be amazing if the task did not seem so overwhelmingly impossible to reach out and help someone in real need.  It feels like I may be on a bit of a soap box.  You might be wondering what I am doing about this personally?  Monetary donations are not the only thing one can do.  I don't know what my plans are in this except for praying and searching and being available.

The Australian adoption laws are the most difficult, stringent and legalistic out of all western countries.  Did you know that?  The average wait to adopt a child as an Australian resident is between 5 to 8 years.  This is all tied up in paperwork.  There are millions of orphans in the world - and we get wrapped up worrying about stuff ... (my latest 'worry' was if my boys were going to grow up with a complex because they are sharing a bedroom - very worrisome hey?).  Stuff.  I don't know how I can help the situations of so many children that need help.  Maybe it just takes one.  I know it is easier for us to choose to not do rather than do.  We can leave it up to someone else.  Can we?  I don't think I can.  I don't know what that means though.  Is it enough to say I am raising my own children?  Somehow it feels it isn't, when I know there are millions and millions of children suffering.  Can I be so selfish?


I never thought when I started this Squiggly blog I would be writing about things like this.  It was about my creative and thrifting ventures.  Well, I guess if I ever make Squiggly even more successful than the little stall at the Vintage Shed and the online store - You will know the feelings and thoughts behind Squiggly Rainbow. Sometimes and many of us choose to think about la-la land, pretty things and what's in it for us?  I'm not sure I can watch pretty things blow in the wind without doing something big.


Some of us, or is it all of us are called to make a difference?

Much Love Rach xx

14 comments:

  1. so heartfelt and so true....we can make a difference in small ways each of us bit by bit....we have Bessie in our lives now and that in some small way helps but I would like to do more....I think the rigmarole that people have to go through to adopt is ridiculous when there are so so many orphans and needy children the world over....if I stop for too long and ponder it it really upsets me....does this make me too emotional, too needy?? I don't know but it how I have ben crafted by Him and I can't/don't want that part of me to change, thankyou for posting your thoughts to share, TK xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I work in an industry that is all about trying to make a difference for a safer community. It's complex, difficult and thankless job, but I'm constantly being reminded that the "small wins" (which often come unexpectedly) are what it's all about, and it's important to take hope from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel with you that it is very frustrating having to go through all this hassle if all you wanna do is help at least one child. Consider, though, that this also helps to keep other people with not so pure intentions to get a hold of these children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Rachel. Makes me think of the Margaret Mead quote: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

    ReplyDelete
  5. we tend to overlook the things that make us uncomfortable...i support a group here locally that goes into the bars in thailand to buy the freedom of sexually exploited girls...setting them up with microbusinesses to sustain them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaga - yes, I've been thinking about that too. I just can't shake the compassion and sadness concerning it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post, it is very unsettling wanting to help but not knowing where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're asking such important and powerful questions here! Thanks for being honest about your thoughts.. It is so hard to get engaged in the world's BIG problems, yes? They can so quickly feel so far away. And I DO think that raising your children is a HUGE thing, no matter what's going on in the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think blogging makes us see how BIG the world is and yet, how connected we all are. I know it does this for me. Personally, I'm involved with Compassion International. I can't take the children in need into my home, but I can support an organization I believe in AND have personal contact with the children I am helping. Peace friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your heart. i love it. i am so scared of forgetting their suffering, of forgetting the world's pain. i need all the reminders i can get. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your posts over at No Greater Joy Mom and wanted to tell you that it is possible to adopt in Australia and to adopt special needs children. Our immigration laws do prevent us adopting children with high needs such as seen on RR but there are needy children who need loving homes. (And of course adopting is not the only way to serve others but if you also want to add to your family and you feel God calling you there...)Each state has different requirements and different programs open. Each country that is open to adopting also has their own requirements so it is a matter of seeing what program you met the requirements for. If you want to adopt a baby then the long wait times are definitely a factor but if you are willing to look at older children (toddler and above) and minor special needs you will fit more programs and hopefully wait times will be shorter. There is alot of paper work and interviews with social workers to work through and it is not a inexpensive exercise either. But when I look at my precious little boy, it is clear it is more than worth it. We've just being allocated a 2nd little boy. We had a 4 year wait getting to our first adoption but partly that was on our behalf as we put it on hold for a little while but this 2nd one has been super quick so far - 7 mths since we began the process and another expected 5-6 mths before we can go and get him. Happy to give you more info if you want it. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sylivia - my email is squigglyrainbow@hotmail.com

    Do you have your own blog? I think I may have posted on someone elses blog thinking it was you! Looking forward to hearing from you!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogging takes us a lot of different places. We see so much. We hear so much. It makes us think. I think about this problem all the time. Will be interested to hear if you decide to go further with it.

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...