Thursday, April 12, 2012

odd

Am I cynical?  It may be a rhetorical question - but if you think I am by reading this blog... please let me know.  I know I am sometimes, I am a very analytical person, I like to study - I like to understand things, people, trees, motherhood.

Today Miss G was at a birthday party with her classmates - a whole class party at a swimming pool.  Master S and Master J were happily having a swim and I was sitting at a bench, supervising my children.  I was sitting next to another adult.  I noticed a young teen-age boy walking laps around the building in his bathers (bathing suit, togs, speedo's, swim-suit; you get the gist).  He was quite tall - perhaps 14 or 15 years old.  Happily walking in circles around the building by himself, sometimes on his tip-toes (I noted the remnants of blue nail-polish).  He was chewing his fingernails as he continued to circle the building at a steady, what looked like relaxed pace.

Then the person sitting next to me stated "He looks odd doesn't he?".  What I thought?  How rude to say that.  I responded as I felt the authority to do so as a parent of two children with an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).  "I would say he is on the Autism Spectrum".  "Mmmmm", the person responded.

I don't know about you, but this really ticks me off.  Why are people so ignorant and rude?  How can a person feel validated saying this.  Or should I have responded "You look like a rude objectional wog".  Oh my.  I think I am pretty tolerant - but it seems I am not when it comes to people not having compassion on fellow man, on a fellow human stating some type of dislike to an innocent person who has no part of their life.



Just wanted to vent.  It ticked me off.  My kids are a bit odd.  So am I.  So is my husband.  Are  you?  Clearly the person sitting next to me is not.  Mr DCT concedes that perhaps the person was stating the obvious (as he, an Asperger male would - but even Mr DCT would not say that).

Okay, the debate continues......

Much Love Rach xx

18 comments:

  1. Good on you Rach! Some people are really so intolerant of any differences in people. It takes all types for this crazy world to work so well. I am a little odd, and very proud of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so odd, mega odd ball...
    But what in someones experience makes them think those words will be received warmly?
    Matt another mega odd ball says "she's not as cynical as she thinks she is, just pissed off by social inappropriateness"
    lotsa oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted my 'p' word and replaced it with 'ticked'... xxx

      Delete
  3. I like the 'odd', they make life interesting. Agree, it puzzles me why some people are intolerant. Love that you speak your mind Rach.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, your experience does not surprise me. Unfortunately, too many people think its OK to judge without any idea or understanding of the person, their context etc....Which makes it so important that we teach our children about tolerance, understanding and compassion. Thanks for sharing your experience, and no worries about the rant:) Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talk about tolerance all the time, and no-one is made perfect, no one is more special than another. xxx Thanks Cyndy xx

      Delete
  5. Ohmygoodness, that photo of your kids is beautiful!!!!!
    And I don't think you're cynical at all.
    In fact I like the way you think.
    I like the way you dealt with that woman too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lovely, I think that often those comments come from a fear of the odd. Unfortunately people equate being odd with being a potential pervert. It was probably a protective instinct from the person saying it. Odd people scare them. Sad but maybe true. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about deleting this post - you are probably very right. xxx But will keep it up - keeping the blog real, my feelings and all! xx Thanks Jodie - looking forward to catching up soon!

      Delete
    2. I hope my comment didn't offend you. Many people have had no personal experience with autism. They just don't understand the behaviours or the people behind them. It was the fact that it was at the pool, with heaps of young kids around, that made me think she might have been a bit wary of someone behaving strangely (to her).
      Love you xxx

      Delete
    3. You could never offend me.... I appreciate your wisdom. I sincerely do think of it as wisdom... I had not thought of that and can see it how you shone the light on it. I feel like I am judgmental of the persons comments - I just felt so saddened. xxx Love you too xx Can't wait to see my friends... shall we book in The General?

      Delete
    4. Def book the General!! Next Friday ??

      Delete
  7. Unfortunately i think this persons response is a very common one. When someone doesn't fit into the so called "normal" category some people struggle with that and for whatever reason it makes them uncomfortable.
    I say embrace everyone's quirkiness, it certainly makes for a more interesting world. That's coming from a house full of quirky!
    By the way, I think you dealt with the situation perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello
    I have a lot of trouble with judgemental people. Maybe because I am a 100% certified oddball, and, actually proud to be non-mainstream. I work with a bunch of judgemental women and daily I have to block out their judgemental conversations they have of their "friends". I find it quite unnerving.
    I have a nephew who has autism and after 14 years he still can't look me in the face when he talks. That's him and I love him for who he is.
    I think you are a much better person for how you see other people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think maybe we need some education in our schools explaining what might cause strange looking behaviour. So our children grow up accepting odd and being less afraid to let a little of their odd out. All the best people are a little strange, how much more exciting would the world be if there was a bit more walking on tip toes and a rainbow of nail polish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...