Wednesday, May 23, 2012

paint or curtains

I like that sometimes in my life, my biggest worries are whether I should paint the cupboard doors in the kitchen of our new house - or should I pop some curtains up?  One of my besties and I have very similar tastes... I knew her YES would give me that little bit of courage I needed.

This is what the kitchen currently looks like.  We settle on Friday and have been lucky to be able to move lots of boxes in already.  I'm hoping to paint <<<<< Mr DCT here. Plenty of time to paint. Just move first.xoxo>>>>>>

heheh,

Anyway... Aesthetics are important to me, and I don't know if it would make any sense to me to move in with a kitchen looking like this - there is no point unpacking any of the boxes before paint dries!


Down the track we may put in a new kitchen.  But this is what I am thinking... Paint the top shelves white, a little blackboard feature on that middle bit above the stove.  Tile paint the tiles, maybe the palest grey or white?  Probably leave the timber benchtops, and either paint the cupboards or do something like this with curtains.  We will replace the sink too, painting the benchtops may not work, I don't know.  What I do know is that if I did that Mr DCT would probably get a tad stressed with me!



I do love my white though!  All ideas welcome.... curtains or paint the cupboards?  I'm leaning towards curtains!

Much Love Rach xx

17 comments:

  1. Lols I love ya..
    with that wood floor I'm feeling white benches and i think the blackboard would be lovely!!!
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm thinking white bench too.... I need to investigate..!

      Delete
  2. Oh and you can get blackboard paint in colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely kitchen! How exciting. :D

    My opinion would be to paint the cabinet cupboards white. Leave the timber top. Change the door handles. Leave the tiles for now.

    Can't wait to see what you do, and hope you'll have a few more peeks inside your new place.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited too Jacinta, it feels like home!

      Delete
  4. With so many cupboards how about paint some ( sides) and curtains for the two either side of the stove .... Just a thought. ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that same thought about ten minutes ago Lori... mmmmm.... loving that this is such a frivolous thing to think about (beats the ups and downs of parenting)! xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Rach,

    I'm one of those lurkers...you know the type, the one's who lurk and don't comment? Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love your painting idea. I'd leave the beach tops as are and see how the timber works with the rest of the room. YOu could always white wash them later on. I love white kitchens...add some fresh flowers for colour and away you go! Best of luck and can't wait to see what you decide. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosie! I'm so glad to 'meet' you! And glad you have left a comment! xxxx I think I'll leave the benches too for a little while... xxxx

      Delete
  6. I love white too, though I love the white bottom and top wood so I would leave the bench tops unpainted. Oh also have you heard of a product called Grip and Lock it's amazing allows you to paint on any surface any kind of paint. You just put on Grip and Lock as your under coat and then paint away, no sanding off paint or lacquer I love it. Goodluck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, I hate sanding.... I will definitely try and find that! Thanks so much! xxx

      Delete
  7. I haven't commented on your blog in ages but I do love a good kitchen reno.
    I would paint all the wooden doors and shelves white. Leave the bench top as is, I also love the splash back, I'd leave that for a bit, I think the black board is a great idea and would pick up the darker hues in the tiles. Can't wait to see the end result. Congrats on your new home, so exciting. Karlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karlyn, good idea to leave the tiles for a while, maybe I should just paint the grout white and see how that looks? xxx

      Delete
  8. I think it's a beautiful kitchen!! I would leave the benchtops timber and just put a nice fresh coat of white paint on the cupboards- with a blackboard feature- such a cool idea! Then I would just pop some lovely light curtains at the window :) Good Luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm.... what type of curtains? Red gingham? That wouldn't match the tiles if I leave them.... white romans?

      Delete
  9. I have an all timber kitchen and I love it, everyone comments on how warm and friendly it is :) I love those tiles of yours too. Roman blinds are great, you can always add feature type curtains later when you decide what to do with the rest.

    Enjoy!

    :) Jacq

    ReplyDelete
  10. White is so fresh and clean - fab look. But curtains on the units are not always very practical. I've been down that road and wouldn't do it again. So I guess I'd say if you want to make changes then go for paint.

    I will also say that I very much like your kitchen as it is. Tiles and all. :)

    Robyn, above, made a good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...