Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thursday Garden Journal


------------------------------


I thought I'd give you a little tour of my front yard.  We are on 1.5 acres of land, most of it is bush.  This is a huge triangular garden bed that borders the driveway and house.  Once upon a time it seems to have been a maintained garden bed.  It is not now.  I have started removing the small undergrowth - with a plant to remove every bit of current foliage.  There is also a small pocket of flat land on the back side of the house.  These two parcels will be the parts of the garden I will 'manicure' and tend to as a vegetable, sensory, flower and fruit tree garden.  I really like the idea of incorporating a garden this way - and it seems it benefits disease and pest problems too.


These steps will be bordered by more of a rock wall and herbs.


My little plot I planted out last week had evidence of something eating my seedlings.  The box of fowlers jars I had by the front door ready for miniature gardens are doing a great job of mini-greenhouses for the minute instead!



I transplanted my Kale from a big pot at the old house - it seems to be flourishing in it's soil.


This is the end of the triangular bed, the steps are the top border, with it tapering down the driveway to this point.  I have a little mandarin tree that has been transplanted for the last time - and Master J's daffodil garden we dug up is underplanted.

This bird bath has followed us through nine homes - a wedding present from Aunty E.


And this is the entrance to the path that borders the triangular bed.  I love the bush, the tall trees surrounding us - but so looking forward to my spot of nurtured gardening!

How's your's this week?  Do show!

Rach xx

13 comments:

  1. woo hoo! I added my link, I hope I did it right....it looks a little odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how exciting! Will come have a look around your patch! xx

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Don't get too excited! But I am thinking I might add another post tonight after the digger man has been (he comes this morning!!)

      Delete
    3. would love to see it! I thought you were doing it by hand - ha - great idea - a digger man!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Rach. You've got some major work ahead of you but I love all of your ideas.

    This will be such a lovely linky. I'll join in when I can get out into the garden!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you via Maxabella - so excited to share my gardening post. I think there will be many more in my future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding your link... sounds like lots of fun in your yard... would love it if you could link back here to Squiggly! xx

      Delete
    2. Ooh, sorry. Will do later tonight. I shared via FB though, so some points for that! I tried to comment on Caitlyn's post, but comments were closed. :-(

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did too.... I think her's was an older post! Feeling so glad to have some people join in! xx

      Delete
  4. I love your meandering path into the bushland. It's is so inviting and beckons you to wander up there.
    Great idea with the fowlers jars.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very handily there! Thanks so much for joining in! xx Rach

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful bush block, your little jar hot houses are very cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...