Tuesday, September 11, 2012

tuesday garden journal


Join in on Tuesday Garden Journal time, sharing what you are up to in your garden....

It might be what you are planting in the garden...

... pet antics...

.... family occasions, get-togethers, picnics...

... hints and tips - family garden secrets (like how to keep wombats from eating your crop)..

but it all must be in your garden!

Link in... share the joy xx


Pop this button in your sidebar - I can't wait to see what you are up to!

Rach xx


____________________________________________________________

We planted petunias and sunflowers against the house in these small beds that had been laden with gravel.  It didn't take long to remove the stones, and instantly it looks much better!


I am trying to get the compost going.  This is the first time I have real compost bins (the previous residents left them here for me).  I am not sure if I have the mix right?  I have what seems like thousands of little tiny flies inside.  I did add some extra water the other day - and it seems the amount of flies has reduced.... What am I doing wrong?


Beside the compost bins is an old nectarine.  I pruned lots of dead branches, however it has these other branches right near the base that have lovely new growth.  The bits I could not reach to prune are blossoming wildly.


Are these branches okay?  Not sure - but I don't want to remove this old tree - it could have the most amazing fruit.  Tim will tell.




What's news in your patch?

Love Rach xx

8 comments:

  1. Hey Rach, if you add a little bit of garden lime to your compost every now and then that should help control the little pesky flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my gardening blog for today :) Is the white house with red door the chook house? Love it!
    http://providencemeadows.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/secret-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my chook house - I picked it up at a junk yard! xx

      Delete
  3. Doesn't Spring just make everything better in the garden again?? We have all the herb barrels filled with new growth, it's fantastic. We actually grew lettuce all Winter, in Canberra, i was so proud!! We have chickens who make the most amazing mulch too, so added to the compost, then out the bottom, it's amazingly fertile. We have been working on it all Winter. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add the chicken poo too... might have to get some lime like Rosalie mentioned! Thanks for visiting Posie xx

      Delete
  4. Rhonda has a great post about compost here that should help - http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/search?q=how+to+make+compost

    When my compost gets those little flies I know it is a sign that I have too much wet food scraps and need to add a layer of grass clippings. That gets rid of them for me. How lucky they left you the compost bins. That's great. Using your own compost is a great feeling and then composting the scraps from your own home grown veggies completes the cycle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found a compost bin up the back of this new place, and have no idea how to start it! these comments will help out a great deal. how exciting to see what the nectarine tree will bring! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a while since I was here. Lovely to catch up with your garden and to see what's been going on. So much by the looks of things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...